1. In what way/s are you involved with THE NAKED I: RECOGNIZE/D? I’m performing the monologue “Triad” by Sara Kerr – and my character is a biracial, queer triplet who is socially stereotyped by society and unaccepted by her grandmother.
2. Why is it important to tell the stories in THE NAKED I? It’s important to tell these stories, because they are somebody else’s stories, too. We are not alone. The more transparent we are with our own stories, the better chance we have in the fight against inequality.
3. What aspects of your identity do you hope to express through your involvement with THE NAKED I? While I am not a triplet (I’m actually an only child), I am a biracial, queer individual and grew up with everyone having an opinion of how I should behave. I wasn’t black enough, I was too white, and I am non-politically queer.
4. Talk about your background as an artist. What sort of artistic experience are you bringing to this production? I am a filmmaker and screenwriter. This is my first acting experience. I’m bringing my skills of observation to the table as I observe what my character is going through, and I, also, observe the audience’s reactions.
5. What social issues are important to you and how do they inform your work?
Equality and equanimity are very important to me. I’m still learning how these inform my work. All I can say is that the message of my feature length screenplay, Stardust, that I’m writing now is all about being yourself, being transparent and authentic. It’s through these exercises that you can believe in yourself as an equal and have the presence that demands to be respected and treated this way.
6. What other artists or shows have inspired you? I perform with the Dykes Do Drag troupe, and it’s a wonderful experience. Everyone is incredibly talented. They’re like family to me. Heather Spears, the founder and producer, says we’re misfit toys here to entertain the community. It’s Minnesota’s own Saturday Night Live. You should go!
7. When not involved in this production, how do you spend your time? What are some of your hobbies? My hobby is filmmaking which I hope to make a living at some day… Otherwise, I spend time with good friends.
8. Finish this sentence: I feel the most naked when……. I’m on a promising first date, or when people see or read my art for the first time.
THE NAKED I: RECOGNIZED performs February 1-11 at Minnsky Theatre. Click here for more information and to reserve tickets now!