1. In what way/s are you involved with THE NAKED I: RECOGNIZE/D? I am the backstage manager of sorts? I make sure that scene transitions happen smoothly, and that all the props are where they need to be!
2. Why is it important to tell the stories in THE NAKED I? The stories told in THE NAKED I represent a kaleidoscope of different experiences and identities that do not always get told! And THE NAKED I makes sure to tell these stories in a respectful and honest manner that we do not often (or ever) see in mainstream media.
3. What aspects of your identity do you hope to express through your involvement with THE NAKED I? As I am a backstage helper, my identity as a nonbinary queer person does not really come into play on stage, but my work hopefully helps all the performers express their identities in their pieces!
4. Talk about your background as an artist. What sort of artistic experience are you bringing to this production? I majored in Theatre/Dance with an emphasis in design. So I have a lot of experience in all aspects of technical theatre. I am also a dance artist, though that doesn’t come into play in this particular production.
5. What social issues are important to you and how do they inform your work? Obviously LGBTQ rights are an important issue for me. As a bi-racial Native American, Native and enviromental issues are also extremely important to me. I try to bring some of these issues forward when creating dance scores, and they also inform my movement research.
6. What other artists or shows have inspired you? I have been inspired by so many artists of all different disciplines. Jennifer Tipton has inspired my love of lighting design, Martha Graham, Buffy Sainte-Marie. Most honestly my professors from college inspired me to be creative and resourceful and honest in all I create. The shows Cabaret and Spring Awakening and of course RENT have all inspired me.
7. When not involved in this production, how do you spend your time? What are some of your hobbies? I spend a lot of my time moving and dancing. I also play the viola and crochet and knit. And I listen to lots of podcasts!
8. Finish this sentence: I feel the most naked when….. I use words to share my thoughts and feelings.
THE NAKED I: RECOGNIZED performs February 2-11 at Minnsky Theatre. Click here for more information and to reserve tickets now!